Can I train in Kentucky if I don't live there?


In 2015, the FMCSA established 49 CFR Part 383.79 that states, “The State of domicile [your home state] of a CDL applicant must accept the results of a driving skills test administered to the applicant by any other State, in accordance with subparts FG, and H of this part, in fulfillment of the applicant’s testing requirements under § 383.71, and the State’s test administration requirements under § 383.73.”

Both the CLP and the CDL must be issued by your home state, as required by 49 U.S.C. 31311(a)(12)(A), but training can be accepted from another state.


Follow these steps:

  1. Take the written test for your CDL Permit in your home state.
  2. After you obtain your CDL Permit at home: you can travel to another state for CDL Training or Skills Test while your home state CLP is still valid.
  3. You will take the CDL skills test in their state.
  4. You will then go home to obtain your CDL license as the passing results of your skills test are transmitted via the AAMVA CSTIMS portal from the out of state testing agency to your home state’s DMV who then issue you a CDL in your home state. Note: Your home state is required to issue a CDL based upon the test results from another State.